Tuesday, August 19, 2014

My brain today - 8/19

https://newspring.cc/articles/three-secrets-to-changing-your-spouse

Above is a blog by someone a Newspring.  I haven't read it yet, but it sparked a lot of thought.  My children all have the same father.  I have debated for about 8 years... well, not 8 years, but for a while now whether I should marry him or not.  
He was raised Baptist so he says, but his mom and dad never really took him to church.   When he was a teenager he went to a Baptist Youth group.  I wasn't raised in church, but I too went to a Baptist youth group.  I've always hungered for a relationship with God, and I've spent a huge portion of my adult life seeking that relationship.  
Their dad, we'll call him Rob, has some knowledge of the Bible.  Rob is one of those types of people that you don't know when you can take him seriously.  Whenever we have a conversation about God we end up arguing.  I believe there is a Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  He believes they're all the same person.  I understand and believe that all things are possible with God, but the fact that the same person is three different entities...I can't wrap my brain around that. I'm not going to believe something just because someone tells me to. If Jesus is God why does he pray to God if he is God.  He's essentially praying to himself, then isn't he?  See, it doesn't make sense.  
So, the fact that I won't say the Holy Trinity is the same person causes arguments.  
Church?  I enjoy going to Newspring.  Rob does not.  We tried going to another church.  A Baptist church.  But that lasted two weeks, and he never expressed any interest in trying anywhere else.  There are a few churches I'd like to test out, but the interest in looking for a home church is gone.  
Basically, Rob and I never agree on anything.  And if my assumptions about that article are true, you can't change anyone.  And if my assumptions are wrong, you can't change Rob.  
So here I am, stuck between that hard place and that rock.  I love him, but there are huge issues.  Our faiths being the biggest.  It's strange.  Two people were essentially brought up exactly the same, yet have totally different beliefs.  We both believe in God and that Jesus died for our sins, but there's smaller differences.  Do I put those smaller differences aside and focus on the fact that the main issues are the same??  Do I live a conflicting lifestyle from him and forever have my own life apart from his?  Or do I just call it now and save myself the conflict?    

No comments:

Post a Comment